Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program has been discontinued but we still have our community bike library that is available to everyone that would like to check out a bike to ride. This must be done during normal business hours of the Galax Recreation Center. The bike must be returned one hour before closing each day back to the Galax Recreation Center. Benefits from bike riding include exercise, reducing stress, obesity and air pollution from vehicles. Come out and enjoy a ride in our park or the New River Trail State Park located one mile from the Galax Recreation Center.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
- Always walk facing traffic, ride with the flow of traffic.
- Always look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- Wear bright, reflective clothing when walking or riding.
- Put up your cell phone while crossing the street.
- Always cross the street at corners, signal lights and crosswalks.
- Always wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight at night.
Location: Recreation Center, Felts’ Park
Galax City Residents and students can check out a bicycle and helmet at no cost. “It’s FREE.” Parents must sign a permission form for children under the age of 13. Bikes are available during the normal hours of operation at the Parks department, open to close. Check in at the front desk for more info.