Galax Parks and Recreation Information System
Recreation Center: 236-3218
Municipal Golf Course: 236-2641
Rex Theater: 236-0329
Community Bulletin Board: Channel 3
Galax Recreation News Notebook Radio Show on WWWJ 1360 AM – each Tuesday and Thursday morning at 7:06 am.
601 South Main Street
Galax, Virginia 24333
276-236-3218 or 276-236-0401
- Indoor Pool
- Indoor Rubber Track
- Cardio Room
- Weight Room
- Community Internet Lab
- 2 Full-Sized Gymnasiums
- Senior Citizen Area & Fitness Room
- Multi-Use Activity Room
- After School Program Rooms
Hours of Operation
Galax Recreation Center’s operating hours are established to best serve the needs of the public and may fluctuate depending on seasonal changes.
The Recreation Center will be closed on weekends that community events are scheduled in Felts’ Park. Children under age 11 must be accompanied by an adult at all times while using the Galax Recreation Center, Indoor/Outdoor Pool, etc. unless they are participating in a Galax Parks and Recreation Department program or activity (example: swimming lessons, youth basketball practice, swim team, etc.)
|Monday – Friday||6:00 am – 9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday||1:00 – 5:00 pm|
Spring & Summer Registration
March 4 – 10, 2019
City Residents ONLY
March 11, 2019
All registration handled on a
first come, first served basis
Cardio and Weight Room Fitness Area
Looking for a great workout, come to the Galax Recreation Center for all your fitness needs. Our cardio room features treadmills, steppers, exercise bikes, rower and elliptical cycle. The weight room features all new Nautilus Nitro equipment and you can get in a few laps on our indoor rubber track located on the second level.
Great Rates For 2019
|Cardio or Weight Room||Monthly Fee|
|Adult Couple (married in same household)||$20.00|
|Family (same household)||$25.00|
|Senior Individual (age 55 & above)||$10.00|
|Senior Adult Married Couple (age 55 & above)||$15.00|
|Teen (ages 13 – 17)*||$10.00|
|*Participants may register as a teen if they are 13 – 17 years old. Teens age 13 – 15 must be supervised by an immediate family member 16 years old or older.|
|Cardio & Weight Room combined||Monthly Fee|
|Adult Couple (married in same household)||$35.00|
|Family (same household)||$40.00|
|Senior Individual (age 55 & above)||$15.00|
|Senior Adult Married Couple (age 55 & above)||$25.00|
|Teen (ages 13 – 17)*||$15.00|
|*Participants may register as a teen if they are 13 – 17 years old. Teens age 13 – 15 must be supervised by an immediate family member 16 years old or older.
A 20% DISCOUNT WILL BE GIVEN ON MEMBERSHIPS PAID FOR A YEAR IN ADVANCE.
Need help getting on a program, contact one of our pool of personal trainers:
Teresa Roberts 237-6680 (cell) or 236-8748 home
Nixle Emergency Notification System
Galax Recreation Center participates in the Nixle Emergency Notification System. For facility closings & weather related emergency information and cancellations sent directly to your e-mail or cell phone sign up by going to: www.nixle.com. Also, information will be posted to our 24 hour phone information system. Just call 236-3218 for weather related closings and cancellations.
The Galax Parks and Recreation Department will not be responsible for or will not hold for individuals at control desks, offices, etc. watches, purses, rings, money, radios, cell phones, etc. Patrons should not leave personal items/valuables in locker rooms, restrooms, classrooms, gymnasiums, weight room, cardio room, waiting areas, etc. Daily lockers are available in the third floor locker room and indoor pool locker room. Individuals must provide their own lock and remove personal items and locks daily.
Rules & Regulations
- No pets will be allowed in the Recreation Center except for guide dogs or Recreation Department sponsored classes.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times in the building.
- ONLY non-marking sneakers and tennis shoes may be used in the gymnasiums and walking track.
- Gambling of any form is prohibited.
- Anyone who refuses to leave Galax City property (after being instructed to do so) will receive a minimum of one month additional suspension with a NO TRESPASS notice and police action.
- Fighting is strictly prohibited. Adults fighting will receive a minimum of one-year suspension from all Galax Parks and Recreation Department facilities with police action and a NO TRESPASS Youth fighting will result in suspension as determined by the director of Parks and Recreation and parental notification given.
- Threatening language or actions toward Galax Parks and Recreation Staff will result in a minimum of one-year suspension from all Galax Parks and Recreation facilities and programs. A NO TRESPASS notice will be issued.
- Abusive, profane, threatening or indecent language is strictly prohibited.
- Threatening or indecent conduct is prohibited.
- Chewing gum is prohibited in the Galax Recreation Center.
- Drinks and/or food may not be brought inside gyms.
- Smoking and the use of any tobacco products is prohibited in the Galax Recreation Center and around all entrance areas.
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs or any person under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted on Galax City
- Bicycles must be locked in the bike rack. Galax Parks and Recreation will not be responsible for stolen, lost or damaged bicycles or components thereof.
- No skateboards, roller skates or in-line skates may be used on sidewalks, parking lot or inside the Recreation Center.
- Entry and exit must be through the main doors at the control desk on the first floor.
- Lockers in the pool locker room and third floor restrooms are for daily use ONLY. Participants must furnish their own lock and remove it daily. No towel or soap service is provided.
- All equipment stored in classrooms is for Galax Parks and Recreation use ONLY.
- The Galax Parks and Recreation has the authority to revoke any individual’s privileges of using the Galax Recreation Center for any length of time for disorderly conduct. Suspensions may vary according to director’s discretion and severity of the offense.
ID Card System
- Galax Recreation Center will issue ID cards for the weight room and cardio room members. ID’s must be shown at the Recreation Center Control Desk before entering the weight or cardio rooms.
- Daily use passes for the weight room and cardio room may be purchased for $5.00 per day (this is available to city and non-city residents).
- Membership payment for cardio and/or weight room where patrons are renewing or starting a new membership only pays one month’s fee instead of current month and next full month. This will benefit all participants whether new or old.
- This area is for senior citizens 55 years old & older ONLY.
- Senior weight room area is located in the senior area. This area is free to seniors.
- Supplies in the senior room are for senior activities ONLY.
- Children are not allowed in the senior area unless they are with a senior user.
- Use of the computer lab is considered a privilege and inappropriate use will result in the suspension of that privilege. Examples of inappropriate use include: violation of computer system integrity, tampering with computer hardware or software, violation of software license agreements and copyright laws, violation of another user’s privacy, use of sounds or visuals which are disruptive to other users, illegal acts involving computer lab resources or sending or receiving or displaying graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene.
- Everyone must sign in at the control desk.
- No food or drinks allowed in the computer room.
- Patrons under the age of 18 must have user forms signed by parent before use.
- Only individuals who are signed in to use the computers are allowed in the computer room.
Class and Program Registration
- No phone registration will be accepted unless the class is full and then the caller will be put on a waiting list. No one is registered in a class or program until payment is received in full.
- Age 16 and up will be considered adult in class situations unless otherwise designated.
- Make checks payable to Galax Parks and Recreation Department.
- The City of Galax requires a $25.00 service charge for returned checks.
- For all classes and activities, only persons who are registered will be allowed in the program unless approved by the instructor.
- Galax Parks and Recreation Department will not be responsible for or supervise children who are at program or facilities prior to or after scheduled times.
- Most classes require a maximum and minimum number of participants. Class and program priority will be given to city residents for all program registration when programs have a limited space on a first come, first served basis. This applies to all classes, workshops, trips and special events. Each class or program will state city resident priority registration dates. After these dates, all non-city residents may register if space is available.
All youth classes and activities are postponed automatically when Galax City schools are closed due to inclement weather. Consult instructor about make-up schedules when postponements occur.
Volunteers are needed to help assist with youth sports & athletic programs and activities. All volunteers must complete criminal background checks. If you are interested in helping, contact the Recreation Center at 236-3218.
- Refunds are automatic when classes or activities are canceled by the Galax Parks and Recreation Department.
- In the event a participant must terminate from a class before the first meeting, he or she must notify the Recreation Department 24 hours prior to the class to receive a full refund.
- Partial refunds will be given to those who wish to terminate from the class after the first class meeting.
- Refunds will be prorated according to the date of notification or cancellation with the department.
- No refunds will be given after the class has reached the halfway point.
- Youth sports and athletic fees are NON-REFUNDABLE!
Gymnasium and Track
- Only non-marking athletic shoes may be worn in order to protect the floor.
- Dunking or hanging on the rim will not be permitted.
- During busy times, only half court games will be allowed. This will be determined by the gym supervisor.
- Only children of walking ages will be allowed on the track.
- Strollers are not allowed on the track after 4:00 pm
- When joggers or runners enter the track, they must use the outside lane ONLY. All runners and joggers must go in the opposite direction of all walkers.
- No food or drinks allowed in the gym.
- Only drinks in spill-proof containers will be allowed on the track.
- On Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, the walking direction will be counterclockwise. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, the walking direction will be clockwise.
Cardio and Weight Rooms
- Prior to entering the cardio and weight rooms, patrons must sign in and show their cards at the control desk.
- Patrons are required to be a minimum of 13 years old to be able to use the cardio or weight rooms with parent supervision. Patrons 13 – 15 years old must have parent supervision. Patrons 16 years old and older are allowed to use the weight and/or cardio room without parent supervision.
- All weight bars and other equipment must be returned to its proper place after use.
- Patrons are encouraged to bring a towel and wear appropriate workout clothes in the cardio and/or weight room.
- Galax Parks and Recreation Department is not responsible for any injuries that may occur while using the weight or cardio room equipment. If you have questions about the proper use of the equipment, please ask a Recreation Center Supervisor for assistance. Only drinks in spill-proof containers will be allowed in the cardio and weight rooms. No food.
Picnic Shelter Reservation
Sheltered picnic area may be rented anytime on a first come, first served basis. Shelters are located within the park area and are equipped with bathroom facilities and electrical service. Perfect for birthday parties, family reunions and small company picnics. Call 236-3218 for reservations.
Indoor/Outdoor Pool Notice
ALL CHILDREN UNDER 11 YEARS OF AGE MUST HAVE SOMEONE AGE 16 & UP WITH THEM IN THE POOL AREA/COMPLEX AT ALL TIMES AND IF THE CHILD IS UNDER 6 YEARS OF AGE, THERE MUST BE SOMEONE AGE 13 & UP ACCOMPANY THEM INTO THE POOL AND STAY WITH THEM AT ALL TIMES.
Rooms to Rent
For birthdays, meetings, etc.
The Galax Recreation Center 276-236-3218.~ Galax Municipal Golf Course your most affordable option 276-236-2641
Let us know if you have an idea for a new program.
Call 236-3218 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org